Thursday, August 16, 2012

Let em know who's boss!


Because it seemed appropriate.
There is NO question I have a reputation for being a force to be reckoned with.. Too often I've heard that being direct, or speaking up for oneself makes a woman a qualifier in the Bitch Olympics.  Of course, I've also heard that's a lesbian indicator too - but I digress.

Heaven knows I've been told I'm scary.  "Gee Cindy, *I* wouldn't want you angry at me" and other equally wussy statements.
For the love of God.. name ONE PERSON aside from Myles and Ashley.. oh.. and Preston I have EVER put a hand on to discipline!
SHEESH  SO quick to LABEL you people are!

Even my boss told me recently that I appear afraid of nothing.   Boy HE couldn't be more wrong!   VAMPIRES.  Little does he know I still won't enter a room without flicking the light on first...Vampires!  I tell you -  damned scary things.


This is Penny.  Barb and Joy Kinzer's girl.
ANYWAY... I think we can safely say - based on the feedback alone - I have no problems assuming an authoritarian role.  And DO from what I hear..  So I'm comfortable with giving directions.  I'm comfortable in the driver's seat.. I'm comfortable steering my own boat.  

What I am NOT comfortable doing, is holding the reins.   OR squaring off with a 1200# thinking, feeling being.  

Cindy?  You HAVE to show them who is in charge!  You HAVE to be the Alpha in this relationship.    

Are you freak'n kidding me?


Trust me, THIS girl knows a 'you are an idiot' look when she gets one.

 

 

Back at the Stables!

Lisa called me Tuesday.. told me to come on back out the next day for more horse learn'n... so of course I went. 

This time, I cared slightly less what I was wearing, back went on the old boots -  this time accompanied by a Goodwill pair of $3.99 wranglers I'd picked up.   It's been awhile since I've worn wranglers.   The first thing I noticed when I decided to shop?  The COST!  HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!  When did Wranglers start becoming 80.00 fashion pants?  wowzer.   Oh yeah, back to the pair *I* bought..  IN reality, it's been awhile AND a few pounds.   I think the last pairs I had were size 7s and 9s.... These were 12s.   Lil' Man didn't care.   I cared.... I cared mostly because apparently size 12s are too big, and I had quite the random 'crotch pouch' of fabric pooling in the general vicinity.   

Good thing Lil Man also doesn't care that I look like I've filled my britches... 

But did I mention they were only $3.99?  Remember how I told you I wanted to get back to simple?  yeah - that's what I thought!

The cleaning of horse and stalls!


Turns out Lisa had some of the same ideas about this friendship that I did.  Before I could present my ideas of learning how to work with horses from the ground up, she handed me a rake, and a wheelbarrow semi-full of 'horse apples'..   Off to the stables we went, where I learned about the auto-watering trough.. I learned the art of shoveling up brown biscuits and I learned where to dump the wheelbarrow.   (already I was eyeballing things, thinking 'Bogar, bring a bag next time and your garden will benefit').

I learned how to lift the hooves and use the picks.. I was instructed on halter application and daisy-chaining the lead.  We talked of brushing out the baby, while keeping an eye open for new bumps and scrapes.   And I listened VERY carefully to the 6" versus 6' rule when moving around a horse.   It seems, if a horse is prone to kicking at people behind it, at 6" they can't do much damage, and at 6' they can't reach you.  Anywhere in between?  ya'll are gonna be hurtin.   VERY good information to have!

Bonding time!


Actually, I'm learning that any/all time with a horse is bonding time.  Feeding, grooming and touching when NOT working him is a time the horse gets to know you, and know you aren't going to hurt him.   A lesson and connection which will pay off when it is time to go into the arena to work on communication.    With a little direction, Lisa set about showing me how to tell Lil' Man which direction I want him to go, whether fast or slow.  When it's time to turn and where I want him to do it.  It was amazing, and after some time, when she put me front/center, he listened (for the most part) and graced me with compliance :)   THAT was pretty awesome.

Get up on that Cowboy!

FINALLY!   The REAL reason I'm out here!   Yeah, people..  Cowboy is another horse.   Damn ya'll are nasty!
 
Once again Cindy was in the saddle.   Not just in the saddle, but in the saddle and holding the reins.   And no - Willie Nelson was not present, nor was I channeling this guy.

Cowboy had just come in from a fabulous run with his Daddy as well as Tammy and her baby (I love the people I'm meeting).   They'd run free across the fields, sounds of Tammy's giggling distracting Lil' Man from listening.  (a great sound by the way).   Cowboy was less than enthused about Special Needs Cindy getting thrown up on his back, and very quickly taught Cindy the vast magnitude of what she does NOT know about horses.   When his Daddy said 'take em around', Cowboy took that literally and began to move into a trot... 

And didn't seem all that interested in coming out of it initially.. but we managed.

Cowboy and I did turns, and looped the arena, and walked many many times over the wooden bridge.. a lot of OFF the bridge, less ON it.  But we did okay.  Ultimately Cowboy taught Cindy that there is a lot to where her body weight is resting in the saddle.. and there is reasons for where her hands hold the reins, and how it takes the rider first and foremost being in sync with themselves before the horse can join the party.  

Cowboy spent a LOT of time rolling his eyes over towards his Daddy, with a VERY clear horsey expression which said 'Are you KIDDING ME?  What does it WANT and why is it on my back?'  

I think it'll be awhile before Cindy is ready to ride that cowboy again :)








No comments:

Post a Comment